The Western Union Foundation Family Scholarship Program is helping immigrant/migrant fathers and sons, mothers and daughters and brothers and sisters move up the economic ladder through education and training. Scholarships may be used for college/university tuition, language acquisition classes, technical/skills training, and GED classes, with two family members receiving a scholarship to help achieve the type of education they need in order to create a brighter future for their entire family.
The application period is now closed. Please check back in 2016.
- All applicants for scholarships must be age 18 or older.
- Both applicants are members of the same family.
- Applicants must have been in the United States for seven years or less.
- Both applicants must have been born outside of the United States.
- Both applicants must be living in the United States currently.
- The educational institutions for both of the family members must be in the United States.
- The application must include educational institutions for both the primary and secondary award recipients (the two family members).
- Scholarships may be used for tuition for college/university education, language acquisition classes, technical/skill training, and/or GED classes.
- Scholarships may not be used for advanced degrees (such as Masters, PhD).
- Scholarships will be made only to accredited higher-education institutions and training/educational providers.
- International students already in the United States on F-1 or F-2 visas are not eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Western Union employees, Western Union Agents and their dependents are not eligible to apply for these scholarships.
Process for Selection
Scholarship recipients are determined in a selection process independently managed by the Institute of International Education (IIE), an international non-profit educational exchange organization. All scholarship awards will be paid directly to the accredited higher-education institutions and training/educational providers. No payments will be made to individuals.
- Application open and available: April 15 - May 25, 2015
- Application due date: May 25, 2015 (11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time)
- Scholarship notifications made: Starting July 6, 2015
For questions related to this scholarship program, please contact the administering organization, Institute of International Education (IIE) by phone or e-mail at:
Institute of International Education
1400 K St. NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005
Information provided through this application will be used only for selection purposes and will be treated with utmost confidentiality. All data will be available only to members of the Institute of International Education and the Western Union Foundation. An application package becomes the property of the Western Union Foundation once it is submitted. The application or any parts of the application package will not be returned to the applicant.